Thursday, May 13, 2010

Yee Gawds I spent WHAT?!

Alright so I am gearing up for College in September and after calculating my expenses, I realized how much money I spend on miscellaneous food. When I say Miscellaneous food, I mean food that is purchased everywhere but a grocery store. This scares me because a) I am suppose to be DIETING and b) because alot of these purchases I can't really remember! Which means, I am buying this food when I'm not hungry and when I'm bored. I chalk this up to society telling me I should be eating.

Moments I feel like I should be eating when I know I'm not hungry:

- grabbing a coffee at Starbucks (Damn perky Barista asks if I want a pastry and I almost ALWAYS say yes)

- staff meetings (open box of doughnuts in the middle of the table begging to be released into my waiting and hopeful mouth)

- meeting friends for drinks (turns into drinks and appys and then sometimes dinner, why oh why?)

- shopping (I ALWAYS end up buying snacks I don't REALLY want but I feel I deserve)

Not only does snacking whilst taking part in other activities become expensive, I never really enjoy what I ate and sometimes don't even remember. So I saved all the receipts from the last couple weeks (May 3 - Today) and I have spent a whopping $108.07 on miscellaneous food. That's $10.30 a day on food I shouldn't be eating in the first place!!! Here is the list:

$7.50 - Starbucks
$5.73 - Tim Horton's
$18.10 - Toro Sushi (I live ACROSS the street and what I couldn't go home and cook myself dinner? How lazy am I?)
$45.40 - Cactus Club (What was suppose to be just a couple glasses of wine turned into wine with Appys)
$6.92 - McDonald's (I don't even remember what I ate, but the receipt says I ate a Big Mac, Fries and a Diet Coke but I know it lies. I'm telling myself I had a salad)
$4.57 - Orange Julius (No doubt on a high calorie smoothie of some sort)
$7.74 - Starbucks
$12.11 - Sweet Factory (Gahhhhh not Candy again!!! Couldn't possibly have been me!)

This next week, I am really going to concentrate on only eating at home. Having an extra $100 in my wallet would be wonderful, and I know my waistline would appreciate it.

My question to all you bloggers is: Do you find yourself buying food (whether fast food or snacks) you know you shouldn't be eating but justify it in some way?

1 comment:

  1. All the time! Every week I go to the grocery store and say that that is IT for the food I'm buying that week. But my friends love to go out, and so I spend so much on food that isn't very good for me and is way too expensive!

    ReplyDelete

Comments loved and appreciated, each and everyone!